early 1950s Karam's, later Dillman's and now The Shore House located at the corner of Main
Street and Balboa Boulevard was the most elite restaurant in Balboa.
Karam's In The 1950's
The parking valets wore tuxedos to park the cars of upper crust
patrons. In 1953 Karam's threw a fund raiser benefit for George Hoag to help open Hoag
hospital. Over 125 people attended, each paying $100.00 [$1,200.00 in today's dollars] a
plate for the affair.
Half of the city council and the police
chief attended, at no cost to them of course. Provisions, food, and drink, were donated
for the fund raiser.
Dillman's In 1999
After two-a.m., the bar remained
open until 4:30 a.m. for a "private party" which generated another $5,000.00 in
contributions for the hospital.