The Pavilion's lights give a warm welcome to
Balboa Bay travelers.
Around the turn of the century Pavilions
were becoming common as the keystone of coastal amusement areas.
The Newport Bay Investment Company pledged $10,000.00 to build a
Pavilion to enhance the new development of Balboa.
The Balboa Pavilion under construction.
permit to build the Pavilion was secured from the Secretary of War, and
210 feet of water frontage was deeded to the Newport Bay Investment
Company. The Balboa Pavilion, was completed in 1905 by the Newport Bay
Investment Company, with George Preble as contractor, Fred Dorn
architect, and the Chris MacNeil building gang.
In the 1940s the Pavilion was Miller's.
the late 1940's the Pavilion begin to sink on its old wooden pilings and
they were replaced with permanent concrete ones.
In 1949 the Pavilion had stairs in front.
Originally the Pavilion was used as a bath house. By the early 1940's
speed boat rides from the Pavilion up the bay and in the ocean were all
the rage. By 1949 the upstairs was a 10 lane bowling alley and arcade
with five pool tables. Bingo games were very successful through the
early 1950's until they were outlawed.
At Christmas time the Balboa Pavilion shows
off its brilliant Holiday lights.
Today Balboa Pavilion offers the famous Tale Of The Whale Restaurant
with banquet facilities in the upstairs hall and the Spouter Saloon.
The Spouter Saloon reflects the
Pavilion's early days with its rustic interior and antique ceiling
Words Of Wisdom
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers